The People

soldier_photobar

These are the stories of Kenora participants in the First World War.

Search by name, or filter the search results using the list of options below. To search by alphabetical list, click here.

  • « Return to all stories
  • Delaney, John James Image
  • Delaney, John James

  • John James Delaney was the son of John James (James) and Mary Ellen (née Doyle) Delaney. He was their third born, baptized on 10 August 1881 in Mattawa, Ontario. His other siblings include Bridget, Ida, May, Lettie, Queeny, Daniel Percy, Gertrude, George, and Annie. For the 1891 Canada census the family was living in North Bay, Ontario with the father’s occupation given as labourer and the family considered as Irish Roman Catholic in origin.

    By 1901 the family had relocated to Rat Portage (later renamed Kenora) where John’s father had found employment as a fireman for the Canadian Pacific Railway. Still living with the family were Ida, May, John, Lettie, Queenie, George, Gertrude, Annie and Percy as well as lodgers John McLeod, John Holmes, and Michael Ritchie. John’s occupation was given as gold miner. For the 1911 Canada census John James was living with his sister Ida (Delaney) Morden and family in Keewatin on Front Street. His occupation at that time was foreman at the flour mill, Lake of the Woods Milling company, Keewatin. His father was also living with the family.

    On 25 May 1915 John James enlisted in Kenora. While in training with the 94th Battalion in Port Arthur he was a member of the military police. He met his future wife in Port Arthur, Charlotte McLean, daughter of Charles and Catherine (née Holland) McLean. They married on 27 December 1915 in Keewatin.

    On May 25, 1916, the men of “C” an “D” Companies from Kenora and Fort Frances were moved to the Lakehead and on June 9, 1916, the Battalion left for Valcartier, Quebec for “Summer Camp” as it was called. For two hundred and five of these men it was the last time they were to see their families and friends. The 94th trained at Valcartier for a period until June 13th when they sailed from Halifax for England on the RMS Olympic. (from the now defunct 94th Battalion website)

    Although the 94th remained a battalion on paper until July 27th, 1918, with an office at East Sandling, it actually ceased to exist on July 13th, 1916 when it was broken up and the men were transferred to the 17th and 32nd Reserve Battalions to be used as replacements for casualties in front line units.

    Once overseas Private John James Delaney was transferred to the 32nd Reserve Battalion and then in August of 1916 to the Canadian Training Brigade. On 03 September 1916, Private John James Delaney was transferred to the 5th Battalion. According to the CEF Burial Registers, while with the 5th Battalion, on 28 April 1917, John had been previously reported missing, but information became available that during an attack in the vicinity of Arleux-en Gohelle, France, he was shot through the head and killed instantly. No other details are available. He is commemorated on the Vimy Memorial along with 11 000 other Canadian soldiers that were “missing, presumed dead”.

    From the War Diary for the 5th Battalion, 28 April 1917 (the day John died): “Weather – fine and warm. Battn. attacked at 4 a.m. and gained objective, which was a sunken road to the north of Arleux, … Casualties – 10 Officers, 230 O.R.s [other ranks].”

    John James’ brothers Daniel Percy and George also served during the war but were more fortunate; they survived. John James’ wife Charlotte returned to Port Arthur and her birth family. She never remarried and died in April of 1953.

    Private John James Delaney is commemorated page 226 of the First World War Book of Remembrance in Ottawa, on the Keewatin Cenotaph located in Beatty Park in Keewatin, Ontario, on the Lake of the Woods Milling Company Roll of Honour Plaque housed at the Keewatin Legion, and on the Municipality of Keewatin Plaque.

    by Judy Stockham

    Kenora Miner and News 30 May 1917

    Kenora Miner and News 30 May 1917

    Kenora Miner and News 29 September 1917

    Kenora Miner and News 29 September 1917

    Kenora Miner and News 9 August 1919 part 1

    Kenora Miner and News 9 August 1919 part 1

    Kenora Miner and News 9 August 1919 part 2

    Kenora Miner and News 9 August 1919 part 2

    Keewatin Cenotaph

    Keewatin Cenotaph

    Keewatin Cenotaph

    Keewatin Cenotaph

    Lake of the Woods Milling Company Roll of Honour

    Lake of the Woods Milling Company Roll of Honour

    For King and Country

    For King and Country

    Fort William Daily Times Journal 29 April 1953, courtesy of the Thunder Bay Public Library

    Fort William Daily Times Journal 29 April 1953, courtesy of the Thunder Bay Public Library

  • Regimental Number:
  • 198225
  • Service Record:
  • Link to Service Record
  • Survived War:
  • No
  • Force:
  • Army
  • Branch:
  • Canadian Infantry
  • Battalion:
  • 5th Battalion
  • Place of Birth:
  • Mattawa, Ontario
  • Country:
  • Canada
  • Next of Kin:
  • Mrs W F Morden, sister, Keewatin, Ontario
  • Address at Enlistment:
  • Keewatin, Ontario
  • Date of Birth:
  • August 8, 1882
  • Trade or Calling:
  • Flour Packer for Lake of the Woods Milling Company, Keewatin
  • Marital Status:
  • Single
  • Place of Enlistment:
  • Kenora, Ontario
  • Date of Enlistment:
  • May 25, 1915
  • Age at Enlistment:
  • 32
  • Religion:
  • Roman Catholic
  • Enlisted or Conscripted:
  • Enlisted
  • Saw Service In:
  • Europe
  • Date of Death:
  • April 28, 1917
  • Age at Death:
  • 34
  • Buried at:
  • no known grave/Vimy Memorial
  • Plot:
  • N/A
  • Prisoner of War:
  • No
  • John James Delaney was the son of John James (James) and Mary Ellen (née Doyle) Delaney. He was their third born, baptized on 10 August 1881 in Mattawa, Ontario. His other siblings include Bridget, Ida, May, Lettie, Queeny, Daniel Percy, Gertrude, George, and Annie. For the 1891 Canada census the family was living in North Bay, Ontario with the father’s occupation given as labourer and the family considered as Irish Roman Catholic in origin.

    By 1901 the family had relocated to Rat Portage (later renamed Kenora) where John’s father had found employment as a fireman for the Canadian Pacific Railway. Still living with the family were Ida, May, John, Lettie, Queenie, George, Gertrude, Annie and Percy as well as lodgers John McLeod, John Holmes, and Michael Ritchie. John’s occupation was given as gold miner. For the 1911 Canada census John James was living with his sister Ida (Delaney) Morden and family in Keewatin on Front Street. His occupation at that time was foreman at the flour mill, Lake of the Woods Milling company, Keewatin. His father was also living with the family.

    On 25 May 1915 John James enlisted in Kenora. While in training with the 94th Battalion in Port Arthur he was a member of the military police. He met his future wife in Port Arthur, Charlotte McLean, daughter of Charles and Catherine (née Holland) McLean. They married on 27 December 1915 in Keewatin.

    On May 25, 1916, the men of “C” an “D” Companies from Kenora and Fort Frances were moved to the Lakehead and on June 9, 1916, the Battalion left for Valcartier, Quebec for “Summer Camp” as it was called. For two hundred and five of these men it was the last time they were to see their families and friends. The 94th trained at Valcartier for a period until June 13th when they sailed from Halifax for England on the RMS Olympic. (from the now defunct 94th Battalion website)

    Although the 94th remained a battalion on paper until July 27th, 1918, with an office at East Sandling, it actually ceased to exist on July 13th, 1916 when it was broken up and the men were transferred to the 17th and 32nd Reserve Battalions to be used as replacements for casualties in front line units.

    Once overseas Private John James Delaney was transferred to the 32nd Reserve Battalion and then in August of 1916 to the Canadian Training Brigade. On 03 September 1916, Private John James Delaney was transferred to the 5th Battalion. According to the CEF Burial Registers, while with the 5th Battalion, on 28 April 1917, John had been previously reported missing, but information became available that during an attack in the vicinity of Arleux-en Gohelle, France, he was shot through the head and killed instantly. No other details are available. He is commemorated on the Vimy Memorial along with 11 000 other Canadian soldiers that were “missing, presumed dead”.

    From the War Diary for the 5th Battalion, 28 April 1917 (the day John died): “Weather – fine and warm. Battn. attacked at 4 a.m. and gained objective, which was a sunken road to the north of Arleux, … Casualties – 10 Officers, 230 O.R.s [other ranks].”

    John James’ brothers Daniel Percy and George also served during the war but were more fortunate; they survived. John James’ wife Charlotte returned to Port Arthur and her birth family. She never remarried and died in April of 1953.

    Private John James Delaney is commemorated page 226 of the First World War Book of Remembrance in Ottawa, on the Keewatin Cenotaph located in Beatty Park in Keewatin, Ontario, on the Lake of the Woods Milling Company Roll of Honour Plaque housed at the Keewatin Legion, and on the Municipality of Keewatin Plaque.

    by Judy Stockham

    Kenora Miner and News 30 May 1917

    Kenora Miner and News 30 May 1917

    Kenora Miner and News 29 September 1917

    Kenora Miner and News 29 September 1917

    Kenora Miner and News 9 August 1919 part 1

    Kenora Miner and News 9 August 1919 part 1

    Kenora Miner and News 9 August 1919 part 2

    Kenora Miner and News 9 August 1919 part 2

    Keewatin Cenotaph

    Keewatin Cenotaph

    Keewatin Cenotaph

    Keewatin Cenotaph

    Lake of the Woods Milling Company Roll of Honour

    Lake of the Woods Milling Company Roll of Honour

    For King and Country

    For King and Country

    Fort William Daily Times Journal 29 April 1953, courtesy of the Thunder Bay Public Library

    Fort William Daily Times Journal 29 April 1953, courtesy of the Thunder Bay Public Library

  • « Return to all stories
  • Delaney, John James Image
  • Regimental Number:
  • 198225
  • Force:
  • Army
  • Battalion:
  • 5th Battalion
  • Place of Birth:
  • Mattawa, Ontario
  • Next of Kin:
  • Mrs W F Morden, sister, Keewatin, Ontario
  • Date of Birth:
  • August 8, 1882
  • Survived War:
  • No
  • Branch:
  • Canadian Infantry
  • Country:
  • Canada
  • Address at Enlistment:
  • Keewatin, Ontario
  • Trade or Calling:
  • Flour Packer for Lake of the Woods Milling Company, Keewatin
  • Marital Status:
  • Single
  • Place of Enlistment:
  • Kenora, Ontario
  • Date of Enlistment:
  • May 25, 1915
  • Age at Enlistment:
  • 32
  • Religion:
  • Roman Catholic
  • Enlisted or Conscripted:
  • Enlisted
  • Saw Service In:
  • Europe
  • Date of Death:
  • April 28, 1917
  • Age at Death:
  • 34
  • Buried at:
  • no known grave/Vimy Memorial
  • Plot:
  • N/A
  • Prisoner of War:
  • No
  • Delaney, John James

  • Photo Gallery
Back to Top